Breakfast is an essential step in starting your day. Ideally, breakfast should be eaten within 2 hours of waking up. A balanced breakfast consists of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. This allows for a gradual release of energy, maintains blood sugar levels, and helps to prolong hunger until lunch.
Benefits of Eating Breakfast:
- Reduced Hunger. Eating a breakfast prevents overeating, and you are less likely to opt for a “quick fix” later in the day.
- More Energy. Breakfast refuels your body and replenishes your muscles. Skipping breakfast is associated with a decrease in physical activity, as well.
- Maintaining a Healthy Weight. Skipping meals results in prolonged fasting and can lead to an increased insulin response which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain.
- Healthy Choices. Research suggests that if you eat breakfast you will be more likely to consume more vitamins and minerals and less fat and cholesterol throughout the day.
Healthy Breakfast Basics:
- Whole Grains– bagel, cereal, toast, or muffin
- Lean Protein– peanut butter, lean meat, or hard boiled eggs
- Low Fat Dairy– milk, plain or lower sugar yogurt, low fat cheese, cottage cheese, or natural cheese
- Fruits/Vegetables– fresh, frozen, 100% juice drinks without added sugar, or smoothies
Grab and Go Ideas:
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Low-fat yogurt
- High fiber cereal bar/protein bar
- Low-fat cheese