As a homeowner, security is critical and can make all the difference when it comes to preventing costly and emotionally taxing burglaries. However, when preparing to leave for a vacation, it’s easy to overlook basic home safety precautions. To protect your residence while you’re away and enjoy a worry-free trip, keep in mind the following tips:
- Lock all windows and doors. Secure valuables in a safe deposit box.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed or snow shoveled while you’re away. This makes it seem as though people are home and keeping up with daily chores.
- Have a neighbor keep an eye on your home throughout your trip.
- Avoid leaving your house key outside your home, even if you think it’s in a safe place.
- Leave a car parked in your driveway to make it seem as though someone is home.
- Set timers on inside lights. Install a motion-activated sensor on outdoor floodlights.
- Avoid posting photos of your trip on social media until after you return home. You don’t want to leave any clues for thieves that you are away.
- Stop the mail. Piles of uncollected letters and newspapers are a telltale sign you’re on vacation, which can attract burglars.
- Disconnect automatic garage doors. This prevents robbers from gaining entry to your home using universal garage door remotes.
Taking the proper precautions before you go on vacation can make all the difference when it comes to preventing home burglaries.
Did you miss last week’s blog? Click here to read more about the “Coronavirus and how to Stay Safe.”Preventing Home Burglaries When on Vacation by PDCM Insurance